Director: Ann Applegate, BS • Phone: (260) 449-7562 • FAX: (260) 449-3010 • Email:
Location: 200 E. Berry St., Suite 360, Fort Wayne, IN 46802 • Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday
Meet the Staff: Steve Schumm, REHS, Asst. Director; Audrey Graft; Env. Health Specialist; Matthew Rosbrugh, Env. Health Specialist; Michelle Radosevich, Env. Health Specialist; Steve Niemoeller, Env. Health Specialist; Betsy Graham, Support Staff; • Janee Brown, Support Staff

Frequently Asked Questions

When dining out, I found something in my food. Can I have it tested?
Foreign or unidentified objects found in food from a public restaurant can sometimes be tested at the Indiana State Department of Health. Please contact the Food and Consumer Protection Division at (260) 449-7562 about submitting a sample for testing.

What do I need to do to cater out of my home?
Generally, state and local food safety regulations prohibit catering from a private residence, therefore caterers must operate their business in a permitted and inspected facility.  The Indiana Food Code only allows in-home food preparation under certain conditions. Call the Food Division at (260) 449-7562 for assistance with this question.

I want to open a new food establishment. What do I need to do?
You will need to speak with a member of the Food and Consumer Protection Division.  He/she can explain the process for submitting plans and setting up inspections.  Please review "Guidelines for New Establishments". 

I am going to buy an existing food establishment. What do I need to do?
You will need to speak with a member of the Food and Consumer Protection Division.  He/she can explain the process for submitting plans and setting up the inspections.  It is extremely important for you to talk to a division member prior to the actual change in ownership - as you can be provided with an all-inclusive list of how to bring the establishment into compliance.  Please review the "Guidelines for Establishments Changing Ownership". 

We are a non-profit organization. Do we need a license to sell food at our bake sale?
It depends on how many days per year your organization engages in food sales.  If you operate under15 days per calendar year - then most likely you do not need a permit.  You do need to speak with the Food and Consumer Protection Director and submit a copy of your tax exemption certificate and provide the date and location of your food event.

Where can I get a copy of the Indiana Food Code (410 IAC 7-24) and Allen County Food and Beverage Ordinance (Title 10, Article 2)?
Click here for electronic copies on our Web site.

We are going to take part in a festival/fair. What do we need to do?
You will need to apply for a Temporary Food Establishment Permit.  The cost is $45 for each two consecutive days at the same location.  Click here for the application and guidelines.

We have a licensed food establishment. Can we have a cookout/hog roast, etc. outside the restaurant?
Your annual food service permit covers activities conducted inside your licensed food establishment. Any food preparation and/or sales outside your facility would more than likely require an additional permit from the Department of Health. Please call (260) 449-7562 for further information.

Bookmark and Share

More Articles:   General Information • Food Regulations • Food Permits & Resources • Food Safety & Illness • Food Inspection Reports • Tattoo & Body Piercing • Smoke-Free Air Laws • Food Complaints

Photo Gallery

Click thumbnail to see large image.
  • Director Ann Applegate
  • Inspectors package some food products to be tested.
  • New establishments or ones undergoing remodeling or renovation are subject to a facility plan review.
  • Inspectors check coolers and storage areas to make sure food is stored properly and at the right temperatures.
  • Inspectors make sure that dish machines are working properly and operating at the right temperature.
  • Inspectors make sure that ice machines are being operated properly.
  • Food inspectors document their findings in a food inspection report.
  • Inspectors go over their findings with manageres and operators to make sure any violations are corrected.
  • The Department of Health also does inspections of tattoo and body piering facilities.
  • Inspectors go over their findings with the tattoo artists and operators.
Did You Know?

The number one thing that a person can do to prevent a foodborne illness is to wash their hands. Our mother’s advice is still the best.