The Department of Health’s Pollution Control division issues permits and conducts inspections of public swimming pools and spas to promote safe recreational swimming and prevent the spread of disease.
These inspections include making sure the pool is in compliance with applicable state laws and local ordinances, ensuring the water is tested regularly for correct chemistry and adequate disinfection, and verifying that the facility is free of other chemical or physical hazards. All operators are required to keep records of water quality testing results and accidents.
Year-round pools are inspected at least twice a year and seasonal pools at least once a year. A pool may also be inspected as the result of a complaint. Staff also review plans for any new construction or renovation to ensure structural / mechanical issues are addressed.
Below you will find information on state and local regulations, permit applications, resources on pool safety and other helpful resources.
If you have additional questions on obtaining a swimming pool/spa permit or to wish to report a complaint, please call us at (260) 449-7126.
- Allen County Public and Semi-Public Swimming Pool and Spa Ordinance
- Indiana Swimming Pool Rule 410 IAC 6-2.1
- Fire Prevention & Building Safety Commission Swimming Pool Construction Code 675 IAC 20
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliance
- Daily Pool/Spa Operations Log Sheet (ISDH)
- Injury/Incident Report (ISDH)
- Pool/Spa Contamination Incident Report (ISDH)
Below are links to videos and publications related to pool and chemical safety.
Pool Chemical Safety (Chlorine Institute and American Chemistry Council).
- Adjusting Chemical Levels in a Swimming Pool (ISDH)
- How to Calculate Maximum Bather Load (ISDH)
- How to Shock the Pool (ISDH)
- Swimming Pool FAQs (ISDH)
- Indoor Air Swimming Pool Irritants (ISDH)
- Guidelines for Dog Swims at Public Pools (ISDH)
- Basics of Recreational Water Illnesses (CDC)
- 12 Steps for Prevention of Recreational Water Illness (CDC)
- Fecal Accident Response Recommendations for Pool Staff (CDC)
- Vomit and Blood Contamination of Pool Water (CDC)
- Pool and Spa Test Strips Home Test Instructions (CDC)
- Educational posters on pool safety (CDC)
For more Information on healthy swimming, visit our Recreational Water Activities page.