Many of these diseases are caused by bacteria, viruses, parasites and fungi that are carried by animals and insects. People get these diseases by being bitten by animal or insect or through other close contact.
The best way to protect yourself is to control the presence of rodents and mosquitoes around your home and to wear insect repellent and protective clothing when going outdoors, Protect your pets from fleas and ticks as well. Remember not to handle sick or dead animals or animal waste.
Other helpful tips include:
- Avoid direct contact with wild animals and their environment.
- Wash hands thoroughly and frequently, especially after any contact with animals.
- Use EPA–registered insect repellents that contain 20% or more DEET (N, N–diethyl–m–toluamide) on clothing and exposed skin for protection that lasts up to several hours.
- Look for and remove ticks from your body. Parents should check their children for ticks.
- Eliminate mosquito breeding sites around your home getting rid of items that hold water.
Click on a link below to find our more information on diseases spread by animals or by parasites from animals.
If you have additional questions, please call our Vector Control & Environmental Services division at (260) 449-7459.
Animal Bite Reporting
If you have been bitten or scratched by an animal, domestic or wild, it is critical that you report the bite immediately to Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control.
Timely reporting will increase the likelihood that Animal Control officers can secure the animal for quarantine or testing purposes before the animal escapes or causes harm to others. Healthcare providers treating a bite wound should also fax a completed Indiana Animal Bites Report to (260) 427-5514.
For more information, please go to our Animal Bites and Rabies page.
- Guide to Fleas: Flea Control & Extermination (PestWorld.org)
- Keeping Students Safe from Animals & Insects (DOH)
- CDC’s Division of Vector Borne Diseases
- Zoonotic Diseases (CDC)
- Zoonotic Disease: When Humans and Animals Intersect (CDC)
- Gastrointestinal (Enteric) Diseases from Animals (CDC)
- Diseases that Can be Spread from Pets to People (CDC)
- Animal Bite Reporting & Rabies PEP poster (DOH)