The Department of Health’s Food & Consumer Protection division issues permits to tattoo and body piercing artists and establishments and conducts inspections to ensure that tattoos and body piercings are done in a safe and healthy manner.
Each artist and facility must obtain a permit. Studios are inspected to ensure appropriate sterilization and sanitation of equipment, single use items are not reused, records are kept appropriately, and preventable sources of infection minimized. A facility may also be inspected in response to a complaint.
If you would like more information on tattoo & body piercing permits and inspections or if you wish to report a complaint, please call us at (260) 449-7126.
Below you will find information on state and local regulations, applications for permits, and other helpful resources.
State of Indiana Regulations
Allen County Regulations
- Tattoo Establishment Permit Application
- Tattoo Artist Permit Application
- Tattoo Guest Artist Permit
- Temporary Tattoo Permit Application
- Special Event Coordinator Permit Application
- New Tattoo Establishment Packet
Tattoo Safety for Artists
- CDC Body Art Page (CDC)
- 29 CFR 1910.1030 — Bloodborne Pathogens (OSHA)
- Declination of Hepatits B Vaccine (DOH)
Tattoo Safety for Consumers