November 14th, 2016
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Nov. 14, 2016) – On Thursday, Nov. 17 at 8 p.m., the local Fort Wayne PBS39 television station will feature an hour-long special, ‘Finding the Fix’, followed by an hour-long live call-in show titled, ‘The Opioid Crisis: Healing our Community with Hope’.
The Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health and PBS39 announced the live broadcast today. Thanks to generous contributions from The Lutheran Foundation, Parkview Health, and CleanSlate Centers LLC, this program will be produced by PBS39.
“Despite the recent focus on the addiction issue, there are a number of misconceptions and little-known facts about addiction that continue to persist,” says Allen County Health Commissioner Dr. Deborah McMahan. “For whatever reason, many people still have the mental picture of an addict as unemployed, dirty, incoherent, and criminal. While there is no doubt that some substance abusers fit that profile, there are many more who appear as normal, working, even very successful, everyday citizens. Addiction strikes every segment of the population, and it knows no boundaries. Black, white, Asian, Hispanic – rich or poor – professional or blue-collar – anyone can suffer from substance abuse, even someone you know and love. Do you understand how unintentionally addiction can occur and do you know how substance abuse is treated and where to access services? If not, pleased take advantage of the upcoming PBS39 show ‘The Opioid Crisis: Healing our Community with Hope.’”
‘The Opioid Crisis: Healing our Community with Hope’ will feature interview segments with experts who will address various aspects of the opioid crisis, including the scope of the problem, how addiction starts, treatment, and showcasing addiction recovery is possible. Viewers will also be able to call in during the broadcast to ask questions of licensed health professionals.
Participants in the broadcast include:
- Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller
- Judge Wendy Davis, HOPE Probation Program – Allen Superior Court
- Senator Jim Merritt
- David Murphy, MD, Fort Wayne Medical Education Program
- Marcia Haaff, CEO of The Lutheran Foundation
- Susie Cisney, RN, Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health
- Deborah McMahan, MD, Allen County Health Commissioner
- Joan Duwve, MD, Chief Medical Consultant, Indiana State Department of Health
- Amanda Wilson, MD, Founder of CleanSlate Centers, LLC
- Megan Fisher, Addiction Services Director, Bowen Center Warsaw
- Dick Boggess, Licensed Clinical Addictions Counselor, Bowen Center
- Kristina Johnson, Director of Community Initiatives, The Lutheran Foundation
- Connie Kerrigan, RN, Director of Outreach, Parkview Behavioral Health
WHAT: Finding the Fix (documentary) and The Opioid Crisis: Healing our Community with Hope (call-in show)
WHEN: 8 to 10 p.m. (Eastern), Thursday, November 17, 2016
WHERE: PBS39, channel 39.1
Get immediate & confidential help 24/7 by going to: LookUpIndiana.org or call (800) 284-8439 or text “LOOKUP” to 494949