Mindy Waldron, BS, REHS, CFSP, assumed the duties of Department Administrator in 2005 after 13 years of distinguished service in public health. She now manages the day-to-day operations of a department with a $4.3 million budget and 70 full and part-time employees.
Ms. Waldron is a native of Fort Wayne, Ind. who earned her B.S. in environmental science and management from Indiana University, Bloomington.
She worked for the Hamilton County Health Department as a well protection program coordinator and swimming pool inspector from 1992 to 1993. Subsequently, she worked as a food inspector and environmental health specialist with the Wells County Health Department from 1993 to 1995. In this capacity, she was responsible for conducting routine food establishment inspections, complaint investigations, food-borne illness investigations, enforcement actions and closures.
Prior to becoming Administrator, she served the Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health from 1995 to 2004 as the Director of the Food Protection Division, and later, as the Director of Communications and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Officer.
Ms. Waldron is a registered environmental health specialist with the State of Indiana and is certified as a food safety professional by the National Environmental Health Association. She is also a member of the National Association of County & City Health Officials and has earned the “ServSafe” Train the Trainer certification through the National Restaurant Association.
During her career, she has also served as an adjunct faculty member with Ivy Tech State College in Fort Wayne.
Ms. Waldron is the recipient of numerous awards, including the Rookie of the Year Award in 1993, the Tim Sullivan Memorial Award in 2001 and the Chris Ulsas Volunteer of the Year Award in 2014, all from the Indiana Environmental Health Association. She was also given the Hulman Health Achievement Award in 2014 from the Indiana Public Health Association.
The duties of the Administrator include:
- Managing the department’s day-to-day operations;
- Serving as the department’s Personnel Director;
- Coordinating with the Health Commissioner for long-range strategic planning and program development;
- Preparing the annual budget and overseeing all budget expenditures and appropriations;
- Administering all departmental grants (federal, state and local);
- Presenting educational programs to community groups and organizations;
- Working with legal counsel to coordinate all legal actions and enforcement activities to ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws; and
- Assisting in the coordination of duties in the absence of the Health Commissioner.