The Department of Health is required by state law to collect and investigate reports of communicable diseases by physicians, hospitals, laboratories, and other healthcare providers in Allen County.
Below is a list of reportable communicable diseases.
For more information, please call our Community Health & Case Management Services Division at (260) 449-7556 or see the information below.
How to Report
To report a Communicable Disease during business hours, please complete the Communicable Disease Report Form or contact the Department of Health at:
- For STDs, call (260) 449-7350 or fax to (260) 449-3507
- For Non-STDs, call (260) 449-7556 or fax to (260) 449-8731
If after hours, please contact Allen County Dispatch at (260) 449-7661 and ask to have the Department of Health’s on-call representative paged.
What to Report
Disease reports must include as much of the following as is known:
- Disease or condition
- Date of disease onset
- Relevant lab results and specimen collection date
- Case name, age, birth date, sex, race, address and occupation
- Name and phone number of person making the report
- Name, address, and telephone number of attending physician, hospital, clinic, or other specimen submitter
- Name, address, telephone number, and CLIA ID number of the laboratory performing the test
Animal Bite Reporting
If you have a patient who has been bitten or scratched by an animal, domestic or wild, it is critical that you report the bite immediately to Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control.
You are obligated by law to do so. Timely reporting will increase the likelihood that Animal Control officers can secure the animal for quarantine or testing purposes before the animal escapes or causes harm to others. In Allen County, fax the completed Indiana Animal Bites Report to (260) 427-5514.
For more information, please go to our Animal Bites and Rabies page.
School Absence Reporting
Indiana law (512 IAC 1) requires school corporations and accredited nonpublic schools to report to the local health department the percentage of student absences when the percentage of student absences from a school is equal to or greater than 20% of the enrolled students (Exceptions: days immediately before or after school vacation days or scheduled instructional day that is canceled due to any weather-related emergency unless otherwise determined by the superintendent).
In Allen County, please use our School Absence Reporting Form.
Please fax this report to the Department of Health at (260) 449-8731.
You may also call (260) 449-7556 during normal business hours.
- Communicable Disease Reporting Rule (ISDH)
- Communicable Disease Reporting in Indiana (ISDH)
- Communicable Disease Report Form (ISDH)
- Indiana Animal Bites Report Form (ISDH)
- State Reporting Forms (ISDH)
- Animal Bite Reporting and Rabies Post-Exposure Prophylaxis Poster (DOH)
- STI Testing and Mandatory Reporting Poster (DOH)