June 22nd, 2017
Residents urged to “Take the test, take control”
ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (06/22/2017). – The Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health will be observing National HIV Testing Day on June 27th. The Department of Health has teamed up with Walgreens on Creighton Avenue to offer free and confidential HIV and Hepatitis C testing.
Free rapid HIV and Hepatitis C testing will be available Tuesday, June 27th from 3 p.m. – 7 p.m. at Walgreens, 110 E. Creighton Ave. No appointment is necessary. Results can be given in 20 minutes.
National HIV Testing Day was launched in 1995 and is an annual campaign to encourage people of all ages to “Take the Test, Take Control.” Nearly 1.2 million people are living with HIV in the U.S., and of those, one in seven don’t know they are infected. Getting tested is the first step to finding out if you have HIV.
“Everyone should know their HIV status,” says Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health HIV/STD Prevention Director Kathy Thornson. “And getting tested is easier than ever. Just a quick swab of the mouth and results are available in 20 minutes.”
Thanks to a partnership with the Creighton Walgreens, the Department of Health also offers HIV testing every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. something also referred to as “Walgreens Wednesday.” The Department of Health also offers HIV testing for a fee at its clinic at 4813 New Haven Ave. To make an appointment, call (260) 449-7504.
Other confidential HIV and Hepatitis C testing sites:
- Fort Wayne-Allen County Dept. of Health (FWACDOH) Medical Annex: 4813 New Haven Ave; (260) 449-7504 by appointment Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- FWACDOH Off-site Clinics:
- 519 Oxford St; Wednesdays 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Walgreens: 110 E. Creighton Ave; Every Wednesday 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.; For questions, call (260) 449-4369
- Positive Resource Connection Off-site Clinics:
- After Dark: 112 W. Masterson Avenue; Third Thursday of every month 10 p.m. – Midnight
- Matthew 25: 413 E. Jefferson Blvd; Third Thursday of every month 10 a.m. – Noon
- Neighborhood Health Clinics: 1717 S. Calhoun St; Fourth Tuesday of every month 10 a.m. – Noon
- Su Salud: 2040 S. Calhoun St; Second Monday of every month 2 p.m. – 4p.m.
- Positive Resource Connection: 525 Oxford St; Walk-in every Friday 2 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
To find other testing locations near you, visit https://gettested.cdc.gov or text your zip code to KNOWIT (566948).